AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Philosophy of Art and Aesthetics, Logic, Analytic Philosophy
AREAS OF COMPETENCE
- Early Modern Epistemology, Immanuel Kant, Metaphysics, Ethics
Instructor of Philosophy, California Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks, California, 2019-present
Instructor of Philosophy, Mount St. Mary’s University, Los Angeles, 2011-present
- Faculty Advisor: Philosophy Club
Professor of Philosophy, Ventura College, 2009-present
- Professional Service: Academic Senate, Curriculum Committee, Academic Calendar Task Force, One Book, One Campus Committee, Faculty Advisor: Philosophy Club and Zombie Club
Instructor of Philosophy, Rio Hondo College, 2008
Lecturer in Philosophy, California State University, Long Beach, 2004-2008
- Introduction to College Studies
- Critical Thinking
- Symbolic Logic
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Problems in Philosophy
- Business Ethics
- Philosophy Through Popular Culture
- Culture, Creativity, and Ideas
- Philosophy of Film
M.A., Philosophy, California State University, Long Beach, 2007.
Thesis: On the Concept of Performance Art.
Committee: Paul Tang, Julie Van Camp, Larry Nolan, William Johnson
B.A., Visual Art, Bennington College 1995. Emphasis: Drawing, Printmaking, and Ceramics.
PRESENTATIONS & INVITED LECTURES
- April, 2011 – “Who is Art?” Society for the Philosophic Study of the Visual Arts, American Philosophical Association Conference West, San Diego, California
- April, 2005 – “On the Concept of Performance Art.” Philosophy and Values, Western Social Science Association Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- 2010 – Review of Critical Thinking: A User’s Manual, 1st Ed., by Debra Jackson and Paul Newberry, for Wadsworth/Cengage Learning, Boston, Massachusetts.
- August, 2002 – “Graffiti and Local Business,” The Promised Land, 11:8: Cover & p.5.
- 1994 – Cover illustration, and page 40 illustration, Silo 50, Bennington College
- 1991 – The Mirror at Two AM, Long Beach City College
AWARDS & HONORS
- “Outstanding Weekend College Instructor, Arts and Sciences.” Mount St. Mary’s College, Los Angeles, California, 2013-2014. https://www.msmu.edu/weekend-and-evening/
- Phi Kappa Phi, California State University, Long Beach 2005. https://www.phikappaphi.org/
- American Philosophical Association: http://www.apaonline.org/
- American Association of Philosophy Teachers: http://philosophyteachers.org/
- Society for the Philosophical Study of the Contemporary Visual Arts: http://spscva.org/
- American Society for Aesthetics: http://aesthetics-online.org/?
- Society for Women in Philosophy-Pacific: https://ssl.uh.edu/~cfreelan/SWIP
- Western Social Science Association: http://www.wssaweb.com/
- Center for Civic Mediation, Los Angeles: https://www.lacba.org/give-back/civic-mediation-project
- Basic Mediation Training, Center for Civic Mediation and the LA County Bar Association, Los Angeles, CA. June 2012. https://www.lacba.org/give-back/civic-mediation-project
- Julie Van Camp – jvancamp5 at gmail dot com
- Betsy Decyk – betsy dot decyk at csulb dot edu
- Wanda Teays – wteays at msmu dot edu
- Ted Preston – tpreston at riohondo dot edu